Monday, February 18, 2008

News Views Use

While this blog is merely months old, I have been blogging since August of 2001. That blog exists as a livejournal that is never updated, and never updated is how it shall remain. I think 6+ years of the same journal is enough. That one contains 3/4 of my collegiate career, and the years that came after. This one is much less personal (read: no teenage angst).

I'm starting to realize I pay too much attention to the news. I almost never watch it, but I am constantly reading it online. My homepage on Firefox consists of RSS feeds from NYTimes, Time, Newsweek, Salon, Alternet, The Economist, Slashdot, NPR, Reuters, Wired, Digg, and CNN. And I check it all.the.time. I can't watch the news on tv because it does not show the stories I want to know about when I want to know about them.
TV news is just not for me. I don't care what Pundit X thinks, and I know for a fact Analyst Y is an idiot.

Anyway, my obsession with the news can lead to some social problems (as if I didn't have enough already). I can make for REALLY boring dinner conversation, especially if the person(s) has/have no knowledge whatsoever of the world outside their window. Which does not happen often with the people I choose to spend my spare time with, but it did happen recently to the point that I was flabbergasted when I had to explain the presidential primary process to someone.
A person who was born and raised here has no idea how our electoral process works. That's terrible!! I know I love to rip on this country and the state it has gotten itself into, but I LOVE the idea of America. The one in the Constitution. The Bill of Rights is still the single greatest work of non-fiction ever written (the Bible does not count because, like I said, non-fiction).
I don't understand how an educated person can live here and not know how their leaders are elected or the goverment process works. Which explains a lot about how the current administration came to be.




I do not know what my liberties are; therefore, I will not notice when they are taken away.

No comments: