Tuesday, December 11, 2007

there was a time you had me going on

I do not do well dating in the modern world. I go on many dates, almost all turn out to be fruitless endeavors that last about 3 weeks. It almost winds up being 'polite' dating. You aren't really sure if you like the person, so you give it a few dates/weeks and then when you have made up your mind you can end it. Kind of like a 30-day money back policy. Except if I end it or she ends it, I'm not getting any money back. Which kind of sucks, but that isn't the point.

That is why when 'How I Met Your Mother' (a surprisingly hilarious show I was introduced this fall) aired an episode where one of the characters decided to create a Lemon Law for dates: if, within 5 minutes of the start of the date, he was not happy with the date, he could end it and neither party would have bad feelings. He did this to a couple girls, and they were kind of peeved and had no idea what was going on. But then a girl did it to him, and it was amazing because it was actually catching on.
I am all for the lemon law. If your supposed friends set you (for the sake of argument the "you" in this story is a very fast walker) up with someone who needs to sit down after walking 6 blocks (the short ones!), that is a good time to enact the lemon law. Or in my case, the "I promised my friend I would go babysit for her."
Thankfully I have a friend who I can call at anytime and will vouch to this babysitting story, even though I really don't do well with babies.
And what are friends for if not to get you out of awful situations your other friends got you into?

No comments: