Sunday, May 18, 2008

I need to learn to finish posts

Started a few days ago, just finished now because I can't go anywhere in my apartment since the cleaning service is here.
Yea, I have a cleaning service. Actually today is the first day with them. As my Mother (I wonder if she has found my blog yet?) will tell you, I haaate cleaning. And it's pretty cheap to get someone in here for a few hours to do it much thoroughly than I ever could or would, so it is worth it.


I want to pause for a moment to talk about etiquette. This is for the ladies, but fellas, maybe you can offer some input as well.
Now I know I am a full-on advocate of the lemon law in dating (5 minutes in either one of you can enact the 'lemon law', get up and leave, and feelings aren't really hurt by a 'oh I'll call you'). Unfortunately, this is a craze that has yet to catch on, so we are still stuck with awkward first dates that can just drag on.
However, I think all first dates can be narrowed into three categories:
a. tons of chemistry, definitely seeing again
b. sort of awkward, got along alright, will see again to see how it goes
c. nothing in common, have a nice life.

This does not take into variables like one party going home with the other, because that can throw things all of whack. Observe:

I went on a 'first date' a few weeks ago. We had dinner, some nice conversation, and decided to go to a bar. We both had a bit too much, and before I knew it she was inviting herself back to my place by way of "So I don't have to work tomorrow." (it was a Thursday).
I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so we were drunkenly on the sidewalk, hand out hailing a cab.
But then nothing happened. Readers of my blog (who are you anyway???), do you know who makes out and does nothing for two hours?
Middle schoolers. And me. Because even though she invited herself over, nothing was going to happen. Which is kind of like misleading the witness if you ask me. Or something to that effect.

Okay fine, I don't need to sleep with her on the first date. I'm okay with that. I go away for a few days and don't really see her. Come back for the weekend with plans everyday to hang with my friends. Saturday night I get a drunk text asking if she can come over.
Life lesson: Don't ever text someone drunk after the first date.
I explain I'm in a movie, I'll talk to her later. So I call, leave voicemail, go home, nothing happens.

Talk to her a couple days later, when I'm being evasive about the activities of my weekend (there was no hour-by-hour rundown), and she starts bringing up her ex-es. What an exciting topic!
Now, I'm not one to get jealous when someone brings up their ex-es, in fact, I think it is great when people are friends with them (just don't forget who's taking you home and in whose arms you're gonna be, so darling, save the last dance for me). But don't bring them up to try and make me jealous. If anything it just makes me annoyed you're even attempting such crap. I don't have time for rubbish and games, and that's what it is.
So that was warning sign number two.

Contrary to popular belief, if you can't keep up with me intellectually I have no interest in you. So maybe watching primaries as a second date was a bad idea, because whoever is at my side needs to thrust, parry, parry, as well as I do. Argue with me and give me good reasons for why I'm wrong (that's hot), or agree with me but have your own reasons why I'm right. Don't be a bobble head.

So because I did not take selection 'c' after date one, I was stuck with the awkward phase out. Which I'm not really a fan of, but I just can't bring myself to say "I'm just not that into you."




Also, I'm not just a blogger, I'm a regular fortune teller. I've been meaning to bring this up, but kept forgetting to. Remember on February 10 when I said Netflix was going to be the winner? Well if you had bought the stock the next day at $26.89/share, you could have sold it a month later for $40/share.
Yeah yea, It's hovering around $31 now (still a 20% increase), but if you didn't sell at $40 you missed out...pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.


No comments: